Monday, June 7, 2010

The Perfect Day


Nothing's standing in my my
On this perfect day,
Nothing can go wrong....

Duh! You all know this song, but...do you remember who sang it?!?! Hoku!! Remember her?

Anyway, today was seriously such a wonderful day!! It was my first day of work at Delicious Cakes and I am soo happy that I decided to take this job! The day went by so fast and it could not be more perfect for me! Let me just outline the day for you...

I started off the day with a sweaty 55 minute elliptical session full of intervals followed by squats and plie squats with a medicine ball. By the time I was walking out the gym doors I was ready for a delicious breakfast.



This is one of my favorites! Low-fat Eggo Waffles with spray butter and strawberries. LOVE IT!! 

After a quick shower and getting all my things ready for the day, I headed off to work around 9:30. Don't worry that I got there 15 minutes early at 9:45...how great is it that I don't have to be at work til 10 am!!!! I can leave the house around 9:40, SCORE!!

So first, I talked to my boss about scheduling and I was pleasantly surprised. Originally I was supposed to work T-F, 10-6 and Saturdays 9-3. I didn't mind this at all, but Saturday mornings were kind of a downer just if Ben and I ever wanted/needed to go out of town or had anything Friday nights and so on. As of today, I will be workin M-F!! Soo exciting!! 

I shadowed most of the morning and love love loved doing that. I got to see what it is like to take orders for wedding and celebration cakes and put the orders in and see how everything works in the kitchen, etc. About lunch time (well my lunch time), I sat down with the owner and started working on my drawing skills. I will be doing the cake testings with brides and will sketch out their cakes and help with the designs, so I kind of need to know how to actually draw the 3-D cake. I had never done this before, but had soo much fun practicing and think I have quite the knack for it!! 

I started off just trying to actually draw the outline of the cakes and actually had to look up tips on the internet. I was definitely not born an artist, but I then ventured onto adding designs. It's so fun!! 
Then I decided I'd practice some of the traditional wedding cake designs. More than anything I probably need to work on my memorization so I actually know what people are talking about. It'll all come together. 

Once I was left to just draw, I finally broke out my lunch. Sorry, no picture...I was so hungry I gobbled it all down. I packed a lavish whole wheat wrap with red pepper hummus, honey roasted turkey and a little bit of spicy mustard. I don't really remember what it tasted like honestly...I just needed something in my tummy. It was followed by a delish braeburn apple. I LOVE APPLES!!! 

The afternoon was filled with lots of drawing, order fulfilling, order filing and I even got to fill all the icing in the kitchen for the tasting tubes. Why do I love bakeries so much?!?! I do not know, but they make me soo happy!! 

I seriously had so much fun today and the time absolutely flew by. I'm the type of person that loves to stay busy and the bakery is such a fast-paced environment, it's perfect! I can't wait til tomorrow...as I was leaving, I was told that I will be putting together and icing a cake!! I'll take pics!! 

When I got home I got to share the whole day with my mom while she finished up dinner and worked on some wedding stuff with her and then enjoyed dinner with my family. My mom cooked up a fabulous chicken and veggie pizza with an Olive Garden salad. YUMMM!!! Now I'm off to watch the Bachelorette and be drawn into all the drama. Gotta love it! 

The only thing that could have made this day more perfect would have been being married to my best friend...ALMOST!!! 


No comments:

Post a Comment